Newry & Mourne Museum
< Return to Newry & Mourne Museum
Poster advertising weekly sailings between Greenore in County Louth and Douglas on the Isle of Man in the summer of 1883
A port was constructed at Greenore on County Louth coast of Carlingford Lough in the 1860s to provide a link by sea with Heysham and Liverpool. The opening of the Dundalk, Newry and Greenore Railway in 1873 meant that Greenore became an important terminus for people travelling from the Newry and Mourne area to and from Britain. During the late 19th century these improved transport links led to a rise in popularity in the Isle of Man as a holiday destination and this poster relates to a temporary weekly summer service between Douglas and Greenore. This service was targeted at potential visitors to the Isle of Man from south Armagh, south Down and County Louth.
This colourful poster is one of many interesting artefacts currently on display in our temporary exhibition The world has become smaller: transport through the ages in Newry and Mourne. Continuing to 2nd May 2016, this exhibition includes items relating to the railways in the area, Newry Canal, local shipping and transport by road.