Newry & Mourne Museum
< Return to Newry & Mourne Museum
A Salvation Army Poster from 1923 goes on display in the Border Town Exhibition
The Salvation Army was founded by William Booth in East London in 1865. Originally the organisation was known as The Christian Mission but this changed to The Salvation Army in 1878.
The Salvation Army arrived in Ireland in 1880 and came to Newry in 1890. They acquired the former Ebenezer Chapel in Trevor Hill as their Citadel in 1908.
Music has always been an important part of Salvation Army life. The poster advertises a visit to the Town Hall in Newry by Ballymacarret No. 1 Salvation Army Band.
The band was one of the best known Salvation Army bands at the time and had just returned from performing in London at festivals in Alexandra Palace and the Albert Hall. Today the band is known as the Belfast Temple Band.
Newry Town Hall officially opened in March 1894 and has been a popular venue for drama, music, variety shows and pantomimes over the decades.
Newry Musical Feis, Newry Drama Festival and Newry Musical Society productions are also held in the Town Hall every year.
Programmes, photographs and other material relating to events held in the Town Hall will feature in our forthcoming temporary exhibition, The Performing Arts in Newry and Mourne, which will open to the public on 22nd March 2013.